Tuesday, November 27, 2012

A Little of This and a Little of That

Aren't these scarves beautiful? They are from Guatemala, and were being sold at the VIDEA Fair Trade Sale in Victoria on Saturday. It was the only photo I managed to take before my battery died (groan, groan), but I can tell you that the fair was a lot of fun. Items made by the Bitengye Designers went home with all sorts of people, and the income for the women back in Uganda has made them very happy.
I arrived back home in Comox just before my sister arrived, and we have been spending the last few days talking creativity together. She is a rug hooker, and the last two photos are of two of her creations. But the treasure she brought me was this antique quilt made from old ties. She had been at an estate sale somewhere in Washington, and when this came up she bid on it for me, and I couldn't be more delighted. It cost her the grand sum of $6! Those black centres are velvet, and the backing is a shawl that the woman who made it used to wear all the time. We know this from the note her daughter had pinned to the back of the quilt.
 I love Sara's use of colour in this improvisational rug-hooking, and how one design informs the next. Something very appealing about those irregular edges too. And the more realistic framed piece picturing a park in her home town of Nelson, is just beautiful. I shared with her what I was working on too, and her feedback was most helpful (although she dared to suggest that I have one too many projects going on at the same time - I can't imagine why!!!). She leaves today, so after a little tidying up, I'll be getting back on track with my own work - finishing up the third improvisational tree, and finishing up another almost completed African quilt, and then on to the design I planned in my Ruth McDowell class at Asilomar last year. I've put that away for long enough, and now it's time to get it out and give it my best effort.

No comments:

Post a Comment