I have been a proponent of working small ever since I saw the quilts from the Journal Project hanging in Houston. The idea (for those of you who haven't explored this possibility previously) is working in an agreed-upon size (8 1/2" X 11", in this case), and working quickly. It's a great place to try out new techniques, and far less intimidating than beginning a larger piece. It takes less time and it takes less fabric. Sometimes the results are pleasing and sometimes they're just lessons learned. The best of them can become fodder for a larger piece at a later time. Sometimes groups agree on a theme ahead of time. Sometimes an individual will decide on her/his own theme. For these journal quilts (I showed a few made by others on my previous post), the theme, or the guidelines, change each month. The first one was made from samples of upholstery remnants given to the Hornby Quilters. I chose to treat them with fusible web, and then to build a scene of houses and a washing line. The theme for the second one was Valentine's, hence the two little birds in their nest. The theme for the last one was Portals, and
these little African huts I had made some days before for another piece (they didn't look right where I had intended them to go) fit perfectly into this format. The theme for March is Water, and for April, we are to make any small piece in which the shape of the quilt describes what the theme is (any theme we want). That should keep me busy for a little while! One of the interesting things I've discovered in making these over the last year, is that the more I make, the easier it becomes. One of my early ones was a real dud, but I ate "humble pie" and took it as my offering anyway. After all, I had encouraged everyone else to "just do it", and not worry about the results. I could hardly turn around and hide my own pitiful piece.