Monday, March 26, 2012

Asilomar 2012

On the Monterey Peninsula, south of San Francisco, is a gem of a place, called Asilomar. It started its life as a YWCA Camp in the early 1900's, but now is a 107 acre Conference Centre, dotted with Arts and Crafts style buildings, behind the sand dunes and withing earshot of the California surf. For more than 20 years, quilters have been coming here to have workshops with some of the best. And this year, for the first time, I was able to come too, along with my friend Joan, and Karrie and Gladys, also from the Comox Valley. This week I'm in a class with Sue Benner, and later in the week, I'll post some photos of some
of the work I'm doing, but for now I just wanted to give you a brief introduction to this place. I am feeling quite overwhelmed with the calibre of teachers here - for example, I just came back to our room in the "Lodge", after hearing talks given by Esterita Austin, Hollis Chatelain and Ursula Kern (from Switzerland). Last night a presentation was made made Lura Schwartz Smith, and in the nights to come there will be even more people, who until now, were just names to me. It's all very, very humbling. But also very, very wonderful. And I'm exceedingly thankful to have this opportunity to spend two weeks here, studying with some of the best quilters in the world.

4 comments:

  1. Wow! you lucky girl!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful spot to be inspired Pippa! It's on my 'bucket list' to take or teach there. Have visited for golf and that was fun too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. you will love Sue Benner! have fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's been terrific to be here. I can't believe I've lived on the West Coast as long as I have and never been here before! And Sue Benner was great. I am lucky indeed.

      Delete