Sunday, January 18, 2009

Trunk Shows and Classes

I have just returned from a delightful week in Abbotsfrod and Vancouver. Diana, my wonder-hostess, is pictured here on the right. She and her mother took fabulous care of me, so much so that I am already dreaming up reasons to return. I presented Trunk Shows to both the Abbotsford Quilters' Guild and the Vancouver Quilters' Guild, and also taught classes for both Guilds. Here Diana and Doris are holding up one of my earliest Africa-inspired quilts, "Pottus Afrikanus", featuring block-printed fabric from a women's cooperative in Zimbabwe.



This quilt is "Under the Mexican Sun", and is an alternate arrangement for my pattern "Under the African Sun".


Here is a small wallhanging made by Trudy Thorne, one of my faithful "worker bees". Silk-screened village scenes that I found on my visit to Uganda two years ago, are featured in the centre of wonky log cabins.
This most unusual quilt, is made by Joan Darling, my other faithful "worker bee". She collected the labels from a sampling of our veritable wax fabrics, and made a quilt featuring all them. Each 12 yard length we receive from Uganda has such a label attached, in addition to having the same information printed on the selvage.
And, of course, there was time at both Guilds for a little shopping. My "little shop on wheels" accompanied me to both the Abbotsford and Vancouver Quilters' Guilds, and proved as popular as ever. African fabrics. lino prints, batiks and more, joined ranks with hand-dyed, sun-dyed and batik fabrics, and are now bubbling away in the recesses of various quilters' imaginations, awaiting their next quilts.

No comments:

Post a Comment