Monday, January 12, 2009

Alice's Tailoring School

Meet Alice. Alice lives in Rubingo, a rural area about 2 hours over rough roads from Mbarara. Mbarara is where the Kitambaa Project will be conducted, and is 5 hours southwest of Kampala. I met Alice two years ago and was impressed by the quality of garments she was making. She will be teaching our students the basics in sewing with a treadle sewing machine, during our first week of classes. Joan and I tried our hand (our feet) at sewing on a treadle machine ourselves last week, and will clearly need significant help from Alice ourselves!


These were some of Alice's students at the time I visited her. They were carefully taking down instructions in their notebooks, and practicing making various styles of garments using only heavy brown paper, needle and thread. No pins, no fabric, no chairs. But they do have a transistor radio. We will be visiting Rubingo and Alice's Tailoring School at the end of the three week of classes.


1 comment:

  1. Practice makes perfect on those treadles! I learned to sew on my grandmother's discarded treadle. She thought the motor driven sewing machine would be too fast for me. I was so little, I couldn't reach the treadle if I sat on a chair ... I had to stand & treadle. Steady on the treadle - start & stop with your hand.
    All the best on your trip!
    Please post directions for donations ... I'm sure there are people out there with a little extra $ in their pocket or a pkg. of needles in their drawer!

    ReplyDelete