Friday, April 22, 2011

Tamagawa Textile Artists

Twice a year for the past several years, I have been fortunate enough to be part of a gathering of textile artists at Tamagawa University Campus near Nanaimo. For three wonderful days, we have been able to do our own work while being totally free of interruptions and responsibilities. We have had the opportunity to share learning and share our lives. There's always lots of laughter, and I always return home newly energized, and counting myself rich in having so many creative women in my life. This spring was our last time at this particular venue, but I am certain we will find a way to continue our retreats somewhere else. We always have a challenge of some sort, and this year the theme was "trees". The photos of the entries this spring give you a small glimpse into the diversity of talents and the skill of some of the members of this group. Some of the pieces fit a suggested 12" X 12" format, but there were just as many members that chose to work to a different size. The first piece, made by Diane Boyko, was voted #1 in the 12" X 12" size, while Paulette's Arbutus Bark (second to last on this post) was voted #1 in the alternate size group. Other
stunning entries were made by Gladys Love (2nd photograph), Dale MacEwan (3rd photograph), and Hennie Aikman (last photograph). Our theme for the next time we meet is "ocean". I'm going to try not to leave it until the very last minute to get my piece done this time, but don't have a very good track record in this regard! And that's putting it mildly. I may even go back to the trees theme of the last challenge - so many unfulfilled ideas still dancing around my head. We'll see . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment