Friday, October 2, 2009

Quadra Island, Serendipity

Last weekend I had the pleasure of giving my Trunk Show, "Travels with my Treadle", and teaching my workshop "African Sunrise", on Quadra Island. And through the generosity of one of the members of the local Guild, I was able to spend the weekend at a charming log cabin overlooking the water. My idea of heaven. I had brought some brightly coloured fabrics with me, and played with them all day, working on something "just because", and not in response to some impending deadline (the current deadline has me getting patterns ready for Quilt Market in Houston next week). It reminded me again how important it is to spend "moodling" time ("moodling" is a word coined by Barbara Ueland, who writes about the the writing life, something that has a lot in common with the artist's life, and the quilting life). She says "So you see the imagination needs moodling - long, inefficient, happy idling, dawdling and puttering." It seems, for me at least, that I need to be away from home for this to happen. Away from the screaming "shoulds", not to mention the phone, the computer, the television. It's been my dream to have my own "little log cabin in the woods" to retreat to for most of my adult life. And one day it just might happen. In the meantime, I am thankful to others who have shared their cabins with me.
When I returned home, it was to put the finishing touches on a couple of new pattern designs, both inspired, once again, by the Art Deco period of design. I've called this one Serendipity, and you can see it pictured here in pinks on a dark purple background, and in yellows on a blue-green background. The flowers themselves are fused, and the stems are made of couched yarn. Beads in the centre of the flowers were added for the final touch.

2 comments:

  1. Serendipity is a REAL beauty, Pippa! I'm seeing Queen Ann's lace, dandlion fluffs and summer meadows. I bet it's a great hit at Quilt Market. I share your log cabin dream!!
    Have a wonderful trip to Houston. -Krista

    ReplyDelete
  2. how wonderful to have time away in a cabin by the water! Serendipity is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete