Saturday, September 19, 2009

Jocelyn's Quilt

My friend Jocelyn has just completed her Masters in Education. To mark the event, she asked me to make a quilt for her. She told me a little bit about what the experience had meant to her - about the support from her family, about the growth and new-found ability to breathe that had come during the process, about the ripple effect this new strength would have on her students, and on everyone who knows her. There's new light and new life in her, and this is what I tried to capture in her quilt. In asking me to make it she gave me no parameters, no colour scheme, no size requirement. She just asked me to interpret what I knew of her in the work. What freedom! And when I gave it to her yesterday, I was so pleased to see her positive reaction. To make such a quilt was an honour, and my gift to Jocelyn. To trust me to make it was Jocelyn's gift to me.

4 comments:

  1. Oh Pippa! That quilt is absolutely gorgeous! What a lucky friend :o)
    Hugs, Laurraine

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amazing design Pippa, I love it. The colours, curvy piecing with the navy 9-patch centers, flower shapes, all just beautiful. Nice article in Quilter's Connection, too! Cheers, Krista.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the feeling of serenity and moving toward enlightenment, surrounded by beautiful things along the way. You must have been happy to have captured that feeling and that she loved your gift.

    ReplyDelete