Monday, September 14, 2009

Journal Quilts 3 & 4

You may remember me starting a series of Journal Quilts back in the summer, each one geared to reinforce one or more design principles. I haven't been as diligent as I had hoped to be in getting one done a week, but I haven't given up either. Here are Journal Quilts 3 and 4. The first one is constructed in predominantly warm colours with one cool colour, and the second is constructed in predominantly cool colours with one warm colour. There will be more coming shortly.

On another note entirely, and for those of you interested in the work of the Bitengye Designers, I want to share some exciting news with you. We received another shipment of their finished items last week, and a second is due to arrive this week. They have been so productive that I have had to ask them to slow down just a little. And the most productive of all has been Alice, who has produced another 180 of her bags, in order to raise funds to build her new sewing school. Already she has raised close to half of what she needs to begin building. She is one determined lady, and I only hope she isn't exhausting herself sewing so much. I have also had news that she has organized a 3-day refresher for the women who come from Kikagati to go to Rubingo to spend time sewing with her. She felt the quality of their work was not adequate, and of her own initiative will spend time with them, working through the problems. Kudos to Alice, and to all the Bitengye Designers!


No comments:

Post a Comment