Monday, June 15, 2009

Quilting in the Trees

Quilting in the Trees is the Victoria Quilters' Guild annual retreat, held at Pearson College in Metchosin, just outside Victoria, every year. For three days, students take classes from a variety of teachers, or work on their own. Meals are provided and accomodation is in student dorms. The setting is spectacular - arbutus trees hanging onto rocky surfaces, whispering firs overhead, ferns and deer and late-blooming rhododendrons. I had the pleasure of returning there as a teacher again this year. For the first two days I taught "One Classy Cabin", a variation on the log cabin block, made with colourful African fabrics and honey-coloured neutrals. Then on Sunday I taught "Dragonflies in my Garden", a 2-fabric applique class using one of Nancy Lee Chong's fabulous patterns. Friends Gail Sheldrake (whom I first taught to quilt in my dining room an amazing 25 years ago!!!), Joyanne Dobbs and Judy Simmonds, can be seen here working on
their own "classy cabins". Tomorrow, I'll give you a glimpse into the Dragonflies class.

No comments:

Post a Comment