Sunday, October 23, 2016

New Zealand Textile Arts at Te Papa

Wellington's Te Papa Museum is one of my favourite spots in this city. Last week was my third visit there, and I see new things each time I go. A collection of "kete" woven baskets caught my eye this time, as well as a display of woven and threaded skirts and capes. The threadwork on some of the capes looks almost contemporary. Which makes me wonder how much is really new under the sun. I could also see a similarity between these baskets or bags and those I have seen in a number of African countries - all made use of the materials at hand to make necessary items, but also have adde, touches to make them beautiful and not just functional. Not so very different from quilting.


This gorgeous stained-glass window is also in Te Papa, and echoes the lines of the "Marae", or meeting hut, which is located just behind it. 
I love the lines of this woven mat, with the progression of colouring through the length of it.
But my favourite part of this visit, of course, was spending time with Emily and Michael and Griffin. This pic was taken at a maritime education centre, which had pools of se life and allowed for handling of snails and sea urchins and the like. Just the thing when you're 10 months old!


4 comments:

  1. Looks like you're having a wonderful holiday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's been great, but I'm looking forward to getting home too. Time to get back to some regular studio time and make some quilts.

      Delete
  2. What a wonderful array of things to see at the museum, and a great way to spend time..... with family!

    ReplyDelete