Monday, December 31, 2012

Art in Public Spaces

I have been intrigued by installation art - things like yarn-bombing and flash mobs - ever since I was first introduced to it. It has to do with making art accessible to everyone by displaying it or performing it in public and often surprising places. So here is a baobab tree in London, decorated with coils of fabric. Just beautiful. I would love to see in in situ. Flash mobs take on various forms, but it's the dance numbers performed in places like a Tokyo subway station or a Chicago airport are the ones I most enjoy. I love the look on the faces of those who thought they were just going about their business, and then get caught up in something so delightful. There is joy in this art, all the more so because it is unanticipated. When I see something like this, I find I want to rise up and affirm that yes, this is a beautiful world. In spite of everything. The corners of my mouth turn up in a smile, and a kind of tingly warmness engulfs me. I have to confess that I have a secret desire to create something like this myself. Not for any reason except "because", just because I want to. Am I becoming a little unhinged? Maybe. But I'm not really worried about it. Seems like a good way to deal with a world full of crazy uncertainty and a good measure of pain. Make art.  

No comments:

Post a Comment