Friday, April 20, 2012

It Takes a Village - on Quadra Island

I had a great day on Quadra Island yesterday, teaching my It Takes a Village workshop. Some of the class made their villages in African fabrics, while others used batiks, or brightly coloured scraps - it's really possible to use almost any assortment of fabrics. While a few workshop members have a connection of some sort to Africa, others took the workshop because they warm to that concept - that it does take a village, or at least a community, to raise a child. I know how thankful I am for the family and friends that have been involved in my own children's growth and upbringing. Maybe we in the west feel that even more these days, as there is so much about
our society that has the potential to isolate us from one another. Sonia, shown here, managed to get her quilt top together during the class, and most people had their huts constructed (Kate made enough huts for two quilts!), and I look forward to seeing them when they're finished. Barb Round (next pic) was my very able and helpful classroom helper. For Janet (pictured in front of the sample), it was her first workshop. She's newly retired from teaching and thoroughly enjoying the new freedom she now has to do things like take classes. The last photo is of Joan, who actually took all these pictures (thank you, Joan!), and who I was delighted to meet up with
again. All in all, it was a great day. Thank you so much to everyone for making me feel so welcome. Great to see you again!

No comments:

Post a Comment