Thursday, November 26, 2009

Visits on the Sunshine Coast

I have just returned home from a teaching visit to the Sunshine Coast. This is a euphemism, you understand, at least 8 months of the year. And being November, I was not disappointed, but enjoyed the sighing and moaning among the tops of the Douglas firs, the crashing of waves on the rocky shore, and the sound like breaking glass, as sheets of rain slammed into windows. But what better time to be snug inside and enjoying a quilting retreat?
The two groups I spent time with are known as "The Halfmoon Crazies", and "The Off the Wall Quilters". That should tell you something right there. They were willing to venture into unknown territory, to learn both new techniques and a new way of designing. And here is a glimpse at their works in progress, as they participated in Ferns, Flowers and Other Follies; and The Joys of Journalling. There was lots of laughter, lots of encouragement, and a huge willingness to enjoy the process. The third class - African Sunshine - was a joy to teach. Colourful "arcs" appeared up on design walls and blocks too, as this enthusiastic bunch of women worked into the evening to continue what they had learned in class. I can't wait to see the finished quilts! And I have a confession to make - I was so inspired by the African Sunshine class that I came home to work on a new sample for this for myself. Now I can return the original sample to my daughter, who has been threatening to abscond with other quilts of mine, at least until African Sunshine was returned to her.





No comments:

Post a Comment