Tuesday, July 6, 2010

A Wedding in the Family

There are some of you who are wondering if I've given up on blogging, or worse yet, disappeared from Kitambaa and the quilting world. Let me assure you that it was only a temporary absence, while we prepared for and then celebrated the wedding of my daughter Emily, to Michael Beausoleil. (I had determined that I would never write on this blog about anything but quilting and the Bitengye women in Uganda, but this is an exception that I hope you will allow.) It was a wonderful wedding, almost magical. Someone said it was Narnia-like, or Tolkein-esque. The Woodland Gardens where the ceremony and reception were held was absolutely perfect. We hung flowers from the trees and filled a medley of other vases with more wild flowers and peonies and roses. Emily looked stunning in her dreamed-for Art Deco style silk dress, and she and Michael beamed through the whole thing.
After the ceremony itself, the words of which brought tears to many of us, there was croquet on the lawn, and bocce, and a photo booth set-up where many chose to have their portraits taken. My son Ben and his Emily are pictured here in the booth. There was a fabulous meal, with salmon cooked on cedar planks by one family friend, and served by the marvellous ladies of my Book Club. Followed by dancing, surrounded by paper lanterns and flowers, and where the old folks got out first to show them how it's done. All in all, it was marvellous, and yes, magical, a family celebration we will remember for a long time to come. And I hope that those of you who follow this blog, will accept this as my humble apology for not staying in touch more regularly over the last month. Some things take precedence, and this, for sure, was one of them. Thank you for the patience of those of you who have waited longer than you should have had to for responses to your emails, and apologies to those of you whose orders took longer than I would have wished to fill. I am back in the saddle now, smiling quietly to myself from time to time, and once again dreaming of new quilts and new designs and new fabrics to cut apart and sew together once again.





4 comments:

  1. Welcome back Pippa! I'm so happy you posted these photos and told us of Emily's beautiful wedding. Her dress is beautiful. I LOVE the meadow photo booth!!! What a stroke of genius that was. You have two very handsome couples in your family!! congratulations.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello
    Congratulations to the just married couple!
    Its nice you posted this and I think you have all the rights to be a proud mother!
    With warm regards
    Doris from Germany :o)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely photos Pippa! thanks for sharing your family celebration of Love. I love the flowers hanging from the trees and the idea of the "photo booth". Genius! Congratulations to you and the newlyweds!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful family memories! Your daughter looked lovely in her dress - a very happy bride.

    ReplyDelete