Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Bufoka Orphans

Yesterday I received an email from Ivan, the organizer of the Bufoka Orphans Group on Lake Bunyonyi. The choir he teaches is composed of 70 orphans from just one region of the lake. They perform their songs and dances as a means to raise funds for their school fees. Ivan's email indicated that Sissy Kyampeire, an S-4 student at Lake Bunyonyi Secondary School, no longer has a sponsor, and he wondered if I might be able to help. I told him I would pass on the information in case there is anyone out there who would like to sponsor a secondary school student. The fees work out to about $300 a year, and can be made in 3 payments, $100 at the beginning of each of three school terms. If anyone is interested in supporting Cissy, please get in touch with my by email (pippa@mars.ark.com). Since we arrived back home, sponsors have been found for three more of the students we promised funds to, which is hugely encouraging, including Sarah (Dinah's niece), and Saphon (Anna's son).



Kitambaa has just returned from the Victoria Sewing Show, where I gave talks on the sewing project. For those of you who would be interested in this, I will be giving the same talk at the Abbotsford show the weekend after next, as well at several Guild meetings. If you would like me to come and talk to your group, please let me know, and I'll certainly try to find a way to fit it into my schedule. I will be continuing to sell squares for this year's Grandmothers' Quilt (photo at left)until they are all gone ($5 each), with the funds raised from this going towards next year's workshop with the Bitenge Designers. So have a look at my website to see where I'll be in the coming months. You can look for me at Quilt Saskatchewan, as well as various places in B.C.

No comments:

Post a Comment